At a private event yesterday in San Francisco, GoPro unveiled their 'GoPro Developer Program', an effort to support companies wanting to develop a user experience between their products and GoPro products. As it turns out the program has been quietly operating for more than a year and working with companies from BMW to Fisher Price Toys.
"Over the last few years we've been excited by the creativity and enthusiasm other brands have demonstrated when integrating GoPro into their own solutions," said Nick Woodman, CEO and founder of GoPro. "The GoPro Developer Program is a way for us to celebrate the innovative work of our developer community and more importantly, help enable what comes next. We're grateful to benefit from the collective genius of the participating developers and we're excited to now officially support their efforts with our developer toolkits."
There are three primary ways the development can be achieved:
1. MOBILE APPS: Enables developers to create mobile apps that connect with GoPro cameras. Functionality includes: camera command and control, live video preview, and media management.
2. DEVICES: Enables developers to create devices that connect either physically to a GoPro camera via the HEROBus, or wirelessly via Bluetooth technology or Wi-Fi. Also provides the ability to access numerous GoPro functions including: camera command and control, video management and more.
3. MOUNTS / HOUSINGS: Enables developers to create accurate and reliable physical mounting solutions for GoPro devices.
At the launch event, 34 of the more than 100 participating companies showcased a variety of GoPro-compatible implementations, including:
- BMW - M-Laptimer App: A track day data acquisition and analysis suite for the enthusiast driver. Records car telemetry data, speed, location and video from GoPro cameras to provide accurate and informative feedback, and playback of content.
- FISHER-PRICE: Integration of GoPro-compatible, child-friendly camera housing and mounts into a suite of new products including Fisher-Price Jumperoo, Walker and Gym products to help parents capture their kid's early years and perhaps keep an eye on the nanny.
- TELEFÓNICA - Xtreamr Mobile App: By sharing a link, Xtreamr enables live sharing of multi-dimensional video experiences, as they happen, with the people you care about the most.
- TIMECODE SYSTEMS - SyncBac PRO: Timecode synchronises GoPro cameras for integration into professional television and film workflows.
To gain access to GoPro's developer toolkits, interested companies should visit http://developer.gopro.com/info and apply to join the GoPro Developer Program.
The GoPro Developer Program is launching with a companion program called Works with GoPro, a product verification and brand association program for companies who make products that work with GoPro products. Companies that have completed the Works with GoPro verification can enjoy the benefits of integrated marketing, including the use of the Works with GoPro logo. Consumers can enjoy products with the Works with GoPro logo knowing they are verified by GoPro to work well with GoPro Products.