Last summer Canon introduced the ME20F, a new box shaped camera that remarkably claimed an ISO performance of 4,000,000! The new ME200S seems like the same camera except for a more sane claim of an ISO range up to 204,800 (the same as the C100 MkII).
The sensor is the Super 35mm CMOS type so will match anything shot on the Cinema EOS cameras, except if you use them in 4K as the ME200S only offers HD. But it's some of the best HD to be had with Canon Log and their WDR (Wide Dynamic Range) feature on board. Frame rates go up to 50p/59.94p only. They claim 12 stops of dynamic range with the use of Canon Log. You also get the superb DAF Dual Pixel Autofocus which works brilliantly tracking faces if you have the right EF lenses.
If you hand this camera to a sports broadcaster they will find places to put it. Canon suggest markets that might use it to be scientific researchers, wild life documentaries and films.
The camera is equipped with the Canon EF with Cinema Lock mount, providing use with a large range of compatible Canon EF, EF-S and cine-servo lenses.
The HDMI and 3G/HD-SDI out terminals can provide your monitoring and outboard recorders. There are also multiple remote control terminals and the camera is compatible with Canon’s RC-V100 for full remote operation over the camera.
Canon also announced some major updates to a bunch of products most of which will be shown at this year's NAB. Pick your product and update:
• The EOS C300 Mark II Digital Cinema Camera updates will allow various functions such as shooting in new Canon Log3, viewfinder magnification during recording, focus guide with EF Cinema Prime lenses, Push Auto Iris and Zoom function on the grip joystick with New COMPACT-SERVO and CINE-SERVO series lenses, Canon Dual Pixel CMOS AF (DAF) with COMPACT-SERVO 18-80mm and CINE-SERVO 17-120mm lenses, ACES 1.0 output, peripheral illumination correction updates and overall image improvements such as noise level reduction in low-light for Canon Log2.
The EOS C100 Mark II Digital Cinema Camera update will allow various functions such as Push Auto Iris and Zoom function on the grip joystick with the new COMPACT-SERVO and CINE-SERVO series lenses, Canon DAF with COMPACT-SERVO 18-80mm and CINE-SERVO 17-120mm lenses, and peripheral illumination correction updates and selectable disabling of the microphone.
• The DP-V2410 4K Reference Display firmware will be updated to support ARRI Log C and ARRI metadata; improve display contrast and dynamic range; add support for Canon Log3 and Hybrid Log Gamma; and display of SMPTE 2084 input signal on the waveform monitor
• The DP-V3010 4K Reference Display firmware will be updated to improve display contrast and dynamic range; add support for Canon Log3 and Hybrid Log Gamma; and display of SMPTE 2084 input signal on the waveform monitor.
• The CINE-SERVO 17-120mm Lens will be updated to be compatible with Canon’s DAF function in the EOS C300 Mark II and EOS C100 Mark II Cameras
• The update for the ME20F-SH Camera will include lens support for an additional 19 EF and CINE lenses allowing for more creative choices in a wider variety of shooting applications including television and film production.
• The XA35 and XA30 Professional Camcorders and LEGRIA HF G40 Camcorder updates include a new MP4 file format at 8Mbps (720 / 59.94P, 50P) allowing the user to shoot low bit rate footage.
• The firmware upgrades for the XF305 and XF300 Professional Camcorders include new shooting modes allowing for greater creative flexibility, Wide DR Gamma (600%) Mode, Highlight Priority Mode, and Signal/Noise priority mode.
• The XC10 4K Camcorder firmware will be updated to include a new file format MP4 in HD mode, improved AF speed, and shutter speed options for flicker reduction.